Position: Artistic Director
Reports to: Board of Directors
Start Date: Summer, 2018; screening of applications begins March 1, 2018 and continues until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Ballet Wichita, one of the oldest and largest arts organizations in Wichita performs for over 14,000 people annually. Since 1973, the company has an established a reputation for creating and presenting exceptional ballet. In addition to performing a full-length Nutcracker with a live orchestra in Wichita, shortened Nutcracker matinees for schools, and a children’s ballet for an annual Ballet in the Park series, the company also tours productions of Nutcracker throughout the state. Ballet Wichita’s educational and outreach programs have received commendation and support from both the Kansas Health Foundation and The National Endowment for the Arts, and contributed to the company receiving the 2015 Arts Organization of the Year Award from the Wichita Arts Council. Ballet Wichita also receives grant funding from the City of Wichita Cultural Funding Committee.
About Wichita: per capita, there is more art happening in Wichita than any other state in the US, with a very supportive, dynamic arts community. Often called the ‘Air Capital’ of the nation, it is located in a metropolitan area of nearly 600,000, and is the cultural center of Kansas, with professional symphony, galleries, theatre, opera, dance, chamber music, and a strong tradition for support of the arts.
Ballet Wichita: The Artistic Director (AD) is responsible for the artistic vision and direction of a pre-professional company, including production development, choreography, season offerings, music, and educational programming and outreach.
The Executive Director (ED) is responsible for the financial, administrative, human resource, development, marketing, planning, programming, and legal functions of the company.
The AD and ED both report directly to the Board of Directors. The AD is fiscally responsible to the Board through the ED and must adhere to the approved operating budget.
SUMMARY: The AD is responsible for artistic, choreographic, musical, educational, and production related work, including: seasonal programming; scheduling and staging of all ballet productions; selection and supervision of ballets, artists, artistic staff and guest choreographers; day to day studio work; dancer training and communication with dancers; artistic supervision of educational and outreach programs; development and maintenance of the artistic and professional growth of the company; participation in budgetary and short and long-range planning in coordination with the ED and Board of Directors: and assisting with fundraising, donor relations, and related activities. The AD assures the highest level of performance excellence, all within parameters of established financial plans and existing contractual and other legal restraints.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, and QUALIFICATIONS:
• A combination of education and experience that demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively and provide the artistic vision for Ballet Wichita; extensive training in classical ballet; significant professional experience; demonstrate expertise in teaching all levels and ages of Ballet; and demonstrated experience in choreographing original ballets.
• To perform this job successfully, the AD must have expertise in the following and be able to perform each essential duty and responsibly listed below.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provides leadership for the company’s mutually agreed upon vision and development, creates a focused, positive, disciplined, and dynamic work environment that inspires individual growth and constructive criticism to dancers and actively attracts and retains;
• Extensive training in classical ballet and significant professional experience;
• Coordinates with the ED and board to develop and execute short and long-range strategies for the artistic development of BW, involving daily schedules, instructors, choreographers, and other specialists;
• Works within financial and scheduling constraints to produce engaging, quality artistic productions;
• Helps build a larger, more diverse audience by performing original works and taking innovative approaches;
• Develops and maintains a season that presents a variety of both classical and contemporary ballets along with an annual version of Nutcracker;
• Manages and coordinates programming, program order, musical content, and determines casting;
• Maintains active and ongoing written and verbal communications with donors, the media, Ballet Wichita parents/guardians, and the public;
• Throughout the year, the AD promotes the organization throughout the community, including public speaking and presentations to both large and small audiences and other media activities including radio and local TV interviews;
• Participates in major gift solicitations, donor cultivation, and grant acquisition in collaboration with the Board of Directors and the ED;
• Actively fosters and coordinates relationships within the dance and arts community.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: In addition to working during established hours, available to work outside of normal business hours including weekends and holidays
TO APPLY: submit the following via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Attention: Sandy Wolter, Executive Director
• A cover letter;
• A curriculum vitae;
• Brief Bio;
• List of 3 to 5 references;
• Links to video examples of ballets choreographed and/or staged by you;
• Video example of you working with dancers of all ages
NOTE: This description does not create a contract or guarantee regarding any term or condition of employment, including scope of responsibilities. Ballet Wichita reserves the right to change, modify, amend, or enhance the job duties of any employee in response to operational, fiscal and/or departmental demands. Ballet Wichita does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, religion, color, sexual preference/orientation, ethnicity or national origin.
1600 W Douglas Avenue
Wichita, KS 67203